In April 2013, The Birks Cinema re-opened its doors to the public, having been out for business for over 30 years. The original building dates back to 1939 and operated as a hugely popular cinema for local residents. The new cinema sits on the same footprint with a re-designed interior so that it can function as a multi-purpose arts venue. Its objective is to offer affordable entertainment to residents and visitors in Highland Perthshire. It is owned by the community through The Birks Cinema Trust, which aims to ensure that there is something for everyone in each monthly programme of events. A loyal team of volunteers supplement our dedicated staff in keeping the operation ticking over smoothly and efficiently.
The Birks Cinema was brought back to life thanks to local people and benefactors giving generously of their time and money. We still welcome donations to enable us to host special events, particularly for the young and the elderly, and to keep our building in tip-top condition.